[Advaita-l] Incorrect comparisons?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 21:27:44 CST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Rajaram Venkataramani <
rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with you on poetic license. The question that remains is on the
> correctness of the tamil translation.There is no word in Swami Vidyaranya's
> verse that I saw which matches "sanchala subhavamulla" (of flickering
> nature). There can be no poetic license in translation unless the argument
> is that it is supported by commentaries and sub-commentaries, if any.

It is well known from the existing literature that Lakshmi is addressed as
'chanchalAyai namaH':

http://prramamurthy1931.blogspot.com/2011/04/hymns-to-lakshmi-vijayalakshmi-stavam.html
चञ्चलायै नमस्तुभ्यं ललितायै नमॊ नमः ।
नमः प्रद्युम्नजननि मातस्तुभ्यं नमॊ नमः ॥ ९ ॥

So there is nothing wrong in the translator adding this epithet to
abdhi-kanyA (Lakshmi).

subrahmanian.v