[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara knew Earth is round and rotating

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 22:05:38 CST 2011

Namaste

But if we know our place in Earth is going from Day to Night we can
easily say Sun is not rising and setting but we think Sun is rising
and setting. Adi Sankara knew this. He is saying the word
Paramarthataha but it must be taken as Vyavaharataha only. Why?

He is not saying Sun is there from Paramartha Drushti like Brahman.
Because from Paramartha Drushti only Brahman will be there. The Sun is
not there Paramarthataha. Why is Sun not there? Adi Sankara knew
Bhagavad Gita 15.6- Na Tad Bhasayate Suryo Na Sashanko Na Pavakaha and
he knew Mundaka Upanishad also- Na Tatra Suryo Bhati Na Chandra
Tarakam.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> "udayascha nAma savitustannivasinAm prANinAm chakshurgOcharApattih ;
> tadatyayascha astamanam; na paramArThatah udayAstamAnE"
>
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> I dont think 'bhAshya vAkya saNdarbha' here is to prove scientific reality
> of Sun rise & set...It is rather said from paramArtha drushti like na
> nirOdhO nachOtpattiH in kArika.  Just my thoughts.
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

-Venkatesh