[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara knew Earth is round and rotating

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Dec 20 22:34:35 CST 2011

But if we know our place in Earth is going from Day to Night we can
easily say Sun is not rising and setting but we think Sun is rising
and setting.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I do agree, but I was just talking about the saNdarbha of that bhAshya
vAkya nothing else. But if we see the astronomical siddhAnta-s as
accounted in works like sUrya siddhAnta etc. our pUrvaja-s were of the
opinion that earth is stationary, a fixed object in the space and other
planets, including sUrya doing rounds around earth :-))  I think jyOtisha
shAstra too is based on these assumed planetary movements.  And if we see
the taitereeyAraNyaka pratha prashna maNtra-s (aruNa prashna) and
Rigvedeeya mahA saUra and atharavaNi sUryOpanishat etc. even our veda-s
too believe the mobility of Sun around the earth and sUrya is a
personified God in vedic lore.  More details can be found in  Aditya
hrudaya, atharvaNi sUryOpanishat, purANokta sUrya stOtra etc.

Hari Hari Hari bol!!!
bhaskar