[Advaita-l] Anvaya Vyatireka Method (Was: Re: Fw: Adhyaropa-Apavada Nyaya.)

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 14:47:04 CST 2011

Sadanandaji, praNAm.

First, thank you for the pointers to sources. The term is indeed used as such by
the two great acharyas and the explanation given by you is quite right. However,
if one looks at the way the same technical terms are used by different Indian
systems, there seem to be significant differences. Let me establish this from
the quote texts.

In the first chapter of Vedantapanchadasi, Vidyaranyswami [1] specifically
states that Atma must be differentiated from the five kosas using the
Anvaya-vyatireka method. In the next sloka [2], he distinguishes the
sthUlaSarIra, the gross body from Atma using that logic. As per the logic in
that sloka

Va) Anvaya: In the dreaming state the gross body is absent but the Atma is
manifest (on account of its sAkshitva - as explained by the
commentator Ramakrishna, a disciple of Vidyaranyaswami).
Vb) Vyatireka: In the same state, the Atma is present, but the gross body is not
manifest.

(I am unable to make out the difference between a) and b) and was unable to find
any directionality of causation or such hints either from the Sanskrit
commentator or the English translator - but that is a different issue, one that
has to be resolved with a Guru).

Now, if we examine TarkabhAshA, an introductory manual of logic, anvaya and
vyatireka are established quite differently [3]. That may be summarised as:

Ta) Mountain has fire; as there is smoke on the mountain; since wherever there
is smoke, there is fire (anvaya)
Tb) also, since whereever there is no fire, there is no smoke. (vyatireka) (This
is not normally stated as it is unreasonable to use a crooked path when a
straight path is available).

The key aspect in the above is that the sAdhya (what is to be established) and
sAdhana (the reason, hetu or symptom which proves the sAdhya) change order when
we move from anvaya to vyatireka. If we use gross body and Atma in the above
framework, the third part (vyApti) ought to be written as:

T/Va) wherever there is not gross body, Atma ought to be there, but it is not so
as in the dream state.
T/Vb) wherever there is not Atma, there ought to be no gross body, but no
instance of this can be found as Atma is omni-preesnt.

Michale Comans [4] gives three different examples of Anvaya Vyatireka logic used
in Advaita (I was unable to follow-up the references cited by him because I
checked it on Google Books and the relevant endnotes page where the references
were given was out of preview)

1) When X occurs, Y occurs (anvaya); When x does not occur, Y does not occur
(vyatireka) (kAryakAraNasambandha - used for ascertaining a relation of cause
and effect by showing that one depends on the other - in the above case Y
depends on X).
2) When X occurs, Y occurs (anvaya); When Y is absent, X is absent (vyatireka) -
this is the Nyaya construct (vyApyavyApakasambandha - used to infer the
existence of one from the existence of the other - in the above case we infer Y
from X)
3) When X occurs; Y occurs (anvaya); When X occurs, Y is absent (vyatireka) -
Comans says this is to show that X is independent of Y.

What is interesting is that the above list does not cover the way in which it is
used in the Pancadasi (this is not to criticise Comans - he restricted himself
to Advaita Vedanta).

There are more references, in Mahabhashya, Buddhist literature (Dignaga) etc.
but obviously this takes much more than a weekend for somebody like me. At this
stage my submission is: a) the same term is used significantly differently by
different darSanas, b) within advaita vedanta the phrase seems to have different
meanings with different authors.

I am keen to know the historical development of these differences and would be
thankful for any pointers.

Regards
N. Siva Senani

[1] अन्वयव्यतिरेकाभ्यां पञ्चकोशविवेकतः। स्वात्मानं तत उद्धृत्य परं ब्रह्म
प्रपद्यते।। 37 ।।

English translation of above sloka (along with commentary) by N. Dhole:  The
Supreme Atma is to be differentiated from the five sheaths for which He has a
predilection or conceit by the methods of Anvaya and Vyatireka. If by the
discriminating powers of intelligence, one's own Atma be distinguished or
separated and rendered distinct from the five sheaths, then is discovered his
condition of everlasting intelligence and bliss, consequently the condition of
the finite as represented by the Jiva is annihilated and he merges into the
indication of Brahma, with which he is one.

[2]  अभावे स्थूलदेहस्य स्वप्ने यद्भावमात्मनः । सो%न्वयो
व्यतिरेकस्तद्भावे%न्यानवभासनम् ।। 38 ।।
In the dreaming state, consciousness belonging to the gross physical body – the
receptacle of food – (hence foodful) is absent, but the Atma is not wanting in
manifestibility. He is present as a witness even here and such a condition is
termed 'Anvaya' or connection as cause and effect. ... while that other
condition in which the active manifestibility of the Atma continues in the
absence of consciousness in the gross physical body [i.e., the consciousness of
the gross body disappears in spite of the presence of Self] is called
'Vyatireka' or dissimilitude. By these two methods the Atma is clearly
discernible to be quite a separate thing from the gross physical body, – the
foodful sheath.
[3]English translation of Tarkabhasha by Poul Tuxen:
"Here what is to be proved (sādhya) is that the mountain has fire, and the fact
that (the mountain) has smoke is the reason (hetu). The latter is in
possession of both positive and negative (concomitance), the concomitance taking
place both positively and negatively. The positive concomitance (anvayavyāpti)
runs namely as follows: where there is possession of smoke there is also
possession of fire, as for instance in the kitchen; for in the kitchen we find
stated the connexion [i.e. Simultaneous presence – as per a footnote] (anvaya)
between smoke and fire. In like manner the negative concomitance
(vyatirekavyāpti) runs: where there is not fire there is not smoke, either, as
for instance in a pond; for in a pond we find the exclusion (vyatireka) of both
smoke and fire.

....Thus the reason 'to have smoke' is in possession of both positive and
negative concomitance, and likewise other reasons, too, are found with both
positive and negative concomitance, as for instance a reason like 'to be
produced' when to 'to be transient' is what is to be proved. [Accordingly:

Sound is transient.
As it is produced.
What is produced is transient, like the jar here. (Positive concomitance). Also,
What is not transient is not produced, like space (Negative concomitance). -
This part is not found in Tuxen's translation, but is true to the Sanskrit text
- NSS]"

[4] p364, The Early Method of Advaita.