[Advaita-l] Requesting reference for this verse

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Thu Feb 24 00:32:08 CST 2011

El feb 24, 2011, a las 11:53 a.m., V Subrahmanian escribió:

> Namaste.
>
> Here is a verse popularly known as Duryodhana's expression of his state of
> mind.  I would like to have the reference number of this verse in the
> Mahabharatha:
>
> जानामि धर्मं न च मे प्रवृत्तिः जानाम्यधर्मं न च मे निवृत्तिः |
> केनापि देवेन हृदि स्थितेन यथा नियुक्तोऽस्मि तथा करोमि ॥
>
> This verse is quoted by Swami Vidyaranya in the Panchadashi 6.76.

It is a well-known verse and is cited often even today, but it is not found in the BORI edition, or to the best of my knowledge, even in other common editions (Kumbakonam, Gita Press).  Its status is thus somewhat similar to another well-known verse:

अपि स्वर्णमयी लङ्का न मे लक्ष्मण रोचते ।
जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी ॥

-- which cannot be traced in the extant Vālmīki Rāmāyaṇa.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao