[Advaita-l] 'aham Brahmasmi' in Bhagavatam

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 06:52:53 CST 2011

Namaste

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas
<jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011, Venkatesh Murthy wrote:
>
>> But where Adi Sankara said Saguna Brahman is highest?  This is Advaita
>> discussion list. Many learned members think he said Nirguna Brahma is
>> higher than Saguna Brahma.
>
> No you don't understand it.  saguna and nirguna Brahman are one and the
> same.  It is the perspective of the observer which is different.  And
> measurement depends on scale and after jnana the whole scale has changed. It
> would be like saying "is an inch higher than a centimeter?"  One cannot
> answer that question because it is logically meaningless.  Thus also from
> the perspective of a jnani "is saguna brahman higher than nirguna brahman"
> is an illogical question because for him there is no duality of high and
> low.  But the upshot of that outlook is that no gunas can be superimposed on
> Brahman and _this_ is the reason that jnani talk of nirguna brahman.

This is not correct. If you say Nirguna Brahma and Saguna Brahma are
one the same I say Nirguna Brahma and a stone are one and same.
Nirguna Brahma is there in stone also because the stone is.  Adi
Sankara never said Saguna Brahma with his divine qualities is true but
the Universe is a illusion.

The qualities of Saguna Brahma also are false like the qualities of
men.  It is  a dream with Saguna Brahma as King and Jeevas as
subjects. In the dream King can command subjects but after the dream
ends where is the King? After Moksha Jeeva is not there. Saguna Brahma
is not there also.  We can say also both Jeeva and King have become
Nirguna Brahma. From Paramartha Nirguna Brahma only exists.  He is
higher than Saguna Brahma.

-Venkatesh