[Advaita-l] Tantrik acts

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 03:10:59 CST 2011

With reference to the discussion  of the above topic,there are certain Tantrik
acts which are mentioned,to say the least "despicable".These 'Tantrik acts"might
have been practiced by the so called "Tantriks"in the olden days.This is called
"Vamachara Marga"or the "Kaula Marga".When I visited the famous Lord Jagannath
temple in Puri,Orissa,I saw some of the erotic sculptures which illustrate the
'Tantrik"acts
which were prevalent in the 11th-12 th century AD.This temple is said to have
been built by Chodagangadeva in the 12 th century.There is a Goddess called
Nirmala devi,to whom the worship is done by Tantrik rites.In one day of the
Navarathri,the Goddess is offered food in the form of cooked fish.
It is said that in this temple,all the five Tantrik rituals like
Madhya,mamsa,matsya,madira and maithuna were practiced.It is said that the
madira was offered instead of tirtha in the olden days.There are only charlatans
who masquerade in the name of Tantriks,Sri.Shankara Bhagawathpada strived hard
to stop these Tantrik rituals.In his Bhashya on the Soundaryalahari he says that
these rituals are "Veda bahira",which is prohibited by the Vedas.

 N.Srikanta.