[Advaita-l] Advaitic foods

Dr. Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 19:09:10 CST 2011

Dear List:

This has been a long thread and all I have seen so far is who said  what?  but
no one seems to be looking at why that may have said so:

Garlic has been used in VajikaraNa to improve the libido. It works by  reducing
platelet aggregation of the blood.  Essentially it makes the  blood thin and
that reduces the Blood pressure in majority of the  cases.  Eseentially this can
be considered a taking a baby aspirin to  help proper blood flow.
However,  it should be kept in mind that Garlic should not be consumed  along
with blood thinnersm suha s Cumadin and Aspirin.  If my memory  serves right in
late 1998 -99 a case was reported in the New England  Journal of Medicine that
the patient was admitted in the Emergency room  for treatment of blood oozing
from eyes.  It was later found that he was  consuming asperin, Garlic and Ginkgo
biloba extract.

Some of the responses in this thread have already identified various  medicinal
properties pertaining to Garlic. A good review article can be  found at

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/garlic-000245.htm

>From t he saadhaka perspective improvement in blood flow can possibly  affect
adversely his aspiration as natural instincts of physical sexual  desire are
likely to manifest.  Although, the smell (garlic smell) is offensive it still
gets classifiedas a aphrodisiac.

Just some thoughts.

Dr. Yadu