[Advaita-l] (Advaita) Bhakti vs. Jnana

shyam Subramanian shyam_md at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 07:54:40 CDT 2011

Pranams.
Equating Bhakti with bhajana is like equating love with crooning romantic ballads! Bhakti is not an alternative or a lifestyle to be adopted but is an attitude that defines your very life and the way you live it - it is how you act, how you eat, how you talk, how you work, how you treat others, how you work, - Bhakti is in and through all this - "mayyeva manah adhastva" says Bhagwan Krishna in the Gita. Fix your mind unto me to the exclusion of all else and at all times.  Speaking of bhajana, Meerabai phrases this most mellifluously in one of her many sublime works" Saanson ki maala mein simrun mien Pi ka naam" we normally make use of a rosary or japa mala to fix our mind on God - in Meerabai's case she finds her every breath being a rosary bead unto which her mind resonates with remembrance if the Supreme. Bhakti is not volitional - you do not adopt Bhakti, Bhakti adopts you when your mind is ready. Bhakti then is not a path you choose, but the fuel that energizes and enlivens and ensures the success of whichever path your mind is ready for - be it action karma yoga or renunciation jnana yoga.

Hari OM
Shri Gurubhyo namah
Shyam