[Advaita-l] 'VinAyaka' in ShAnkara GItA BhAShyam

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jul 6 17:22:07 CDT 2011

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, Dr. Yadu Moharir wrote:

> Namaste:
>
> I am not aware of name Vinaayaka occurring in atharvashiirSha !?
> I know of ekadnata, gaNapataye, la.mbodara, shuurpkarNa, vighnanaashine
> shivasutaaya,
>
> If there is a paaThabheda, kindly send me the reference.

No sorry I didn't mean to imply that there was.  I am just saying that
Brahman manifests as Ganapati.  As Vighneshvara he has the power over the
obstacle-causing Vinayakas thus he bears the name in the same way as a
King could be addreased by the name of his people or kingdom.

Interestingly I was just reading today about the clans or tribes of
Scotland where a similar custom occurs.  The chiefs of clans like MacLeod,
MacDonald etc. would be known as the MacLeod, the MacDonald and so on.
Sanskrit grammar doesn't have definite articles but the principle is the
same.