[Advaita-l] 'VinAyaka' in ShAnkara GItA BhAShyam

Dr. Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 00:17:55 CDT 2011

Namaste Subbu-Ji:

Of course I am aware of this

Yes, his name is Vighnahartaa, as well.  So, do advatins in various maTha worship him as Vighnahartaa or vighnakartaa icon?

Also, in your opinion is his worship and offerings to him, or surrendering to him account for getting merit points () as his bhakta) that he does not create "Vighna" for the one's who surrender to him?  If one were to accept this then it does conform with the traits and properties with the Vinaayaka as well as rudra gaNa he is supposed to lead, as GaNapati, GaNaadhyakhsa, GaNanaayaka ... etc. As you have pointed out from the beginning of this thread that this is a "ugra" devataa.

But why worship the the ugra and taamasika manner is another conundrum that needs addressing.  I will share my views on this issue after I hear from other scholars.

Rgds,

Dr. Yadu