[Advaita-l] ANOTHER QUESTION ON RV AND VEDANTA ROOTS...

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 17 10:05:20 CDT 2011

>So, I would like to hear your opinions about whether the vedAnta roots are able to be found in the RV or not, and in what measure we could be certain of that?

A central concept in Advaita Vedanta is that of Maya, so much so that
Advaita Vedanta has been called Mayavada by many. Only by understanding the
concept of Maya is it possible to have a good grasp of Advaita philosophy.
The word Maya in its simple or compound forms has been used in some 75 hymns
of the Rg Veda. It is useful to make a study of these forms, using Sayana's
commentary as a guide. After the study of these Rg Vedic hymns, it is
possible to interpret Maya as a mysterious power or deception. Two other
hymns are to be studied, with Sayana's commentary, by those interested in
finding Vedantic ideas in the Rg Veda. These are the Purusha Sukta (X.90)
and the Nasadiya Sukta (X.129). I have briefly discussed the Nasadiya sukta
earlier on this list:

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2010-March/024123.html

Anand