[Advaita-l] Shankara and Madhusudhana

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 01:52:58 CDT 2011

If Vivekananda thought Sankara was a dry philosopher, he should state
his reasons. Otherwise his followers may parrot it but not good
scholars.

Regarding sarva dharman parityajya and ananyas cintayanto mam, Sankara
has done full justice to all possible readings of the verses is my
summary view. On reasons to say that, I will post later as it is hard
to type on this phone.

On 20/07/2011, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> Can you pl. cite reference to Swami Vivekananda's works where he said
> Sankara twisted the meaning of BG mantras to promote advaitic view?
> Does he mean advaita is contrary to bhakti?
>
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> Swami Vivekananda indirectly implied in his works that shankara was mere
> dry philosopher (shushka vedAnti) with a brilliant mind!!  And somewhere
> he insists that we need people who have shankara's brilliance (mind)  and
> buddha's compassion (heart).  However, swamiji's views would not get much
> currency in traditional advaitic circle.  Our Sri Jaldhar prabhuji also of
> the same opinion here I believe.
>
> And with regard to shankara's twisting interpretation, dvaitins would
> always like to quote couple of verses from geeta.  i.e. anayAschintayantO
> mAm in 9th chapter and another famous verse 'sarvadharmAn parityajya' in
> 18th chapter.  They argue that though these verses quite clearly upholding
> dvaita view, shankara twisted these verses to suit to his philosophy i.e.
> ahaM brahmAsmi, jevEshwara abedha & brahmatmaikatva vAda. Anyway, this is
> their perception, no need to mention it does not hold any water when we
> look at these verses & interpretation from the  shruti's parama siddhAnta.
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

Sent from my mobile device