[Advaita-l] Shankara and Madhusudhana

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jul 27 04:24:19 CDT 2011

BTW, Bhagavan Ramachandra is also said to have eaten meat with Mother Sita
which has the reference
in Ayodhya Kanda.

praNAms Sri Sriram prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Yes, I too heard this.  And krishna though recommends patraM, pushpaM,
phalaM tOyaM for the worship, there were non-veg delicacies in his menu..I
am not saying this, this is the opinion of some krishna premi-s who are in
non-veggie camp:-))For that matter we cannot categorically conclude
anything about  food habits prevailing at ancient times though it is a
well known fact that very often non veggies bound to develop tAmasa guNa
and meat eating in adhyAtma sAdhana is not at all advisable. But fact
remains that meat or non-veg delicacies including beef were there in our
ancient Rishi-muni's menu card :-))  Below is the copy and paste reference
from vAdAvaLi list :

//quote//

Atharva Veda 9.6 Meat is distributed to the brahmanas
Satapatha Brahmana 3.1.2.21 Cows and bulls are prohibited. At the same
time sage Yagnavalkya is said to eat the flesh of cows provided it is
tender.
Atharvavediya Kausika Grhya Sutra 12.8 One desiring harmony of minds
should eat calf meat mixed with some sour substance

//unquote//

Apart from the above we can find references from purANa-s & manu dharma
smruti with regard to practice of meat eating in brAhmaNa & kshatriya
kula, which obviously force us to put  Lord rAma & krishna also in
non-veggie camp :-)).

Just on the lighter note, so, those who are born in brAhmaNa kula &
hesitating to add meat in their menu now can do so with the support of
pramANa from our own shAstra-s, after all it is 'shAstra vAkya paripAlana'
:-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar

ps :  sorry for the digression from vivekananda to meat eating...just
thought of sharing this.