[Advaita-l] Was Madhusudana Sarswati influenced by Gaudiya Vaishnavas and position of bhakti in advaita

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 00:53:15 CDT 2011

I wish Kumarila Bhatta had a similar option of taking sannyasa instead
of self-immolation! IMO, we should make sure stories are right and
based on reasonable evidence. In Gudartha Dipika, he refers to his
sannyasa guru but whether it is because of diksha or siksha is hard to
say. Also, he clearly gives reason for his writing. We have no reason
to speculate otherwise.  Muni technically refers to a thinker and not
necessarily a sannyasi.

If someone says madhusudana was influenced, one should cite
references. You can be a contemporary but not learn the other school
or learn but stay unimpressed.

Jnanadev, an advaitin, says bhakti is a paramapurushartha well ahead
of Madhusudana and Gaudiyas.  But we can't say Jnanadev influenced
them because they don't talk about him. Nor do they it is hearsay that
bhakti is paramapurushartha. They give strong evidence for their
position - strongest reasons from madhusudana.

Bhakti, as you rightly pointed, is integral to Vedas themselves and we
find a lot of it Sankara's recognized works. Even if the stotras are
not Sankara's, it still belongs to the tradition.

I'd like to know if there is statistical evidence to there was indeed
a bhakti movement. If there were great devotees in the previous
millennium as well, then we can't say there was a new bhakti movement
- may be new philosophies or refinement of old ones. There were
devotees of vasudeva, siva, sakti, ganesha, surya etc. all through
history who had no goal other than devotion.

Sent from my mobile device