[Advaita-l] Bhakti in Advaita Tradition - Post - Gaudapada and Pre-Madhusudana

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 02:17:28 CDT 2011

I will be Dr. Sanjukta Gupta, the author of "The Philosophy of Madhusudana
Saraswati". She retired as a professor at Oxford and has done research in to
Advaita for decades. One of the key focus of my discussion is to understand
the position of Madhusudana Saraswati vis-a-vis post Gaudapa advaitins
before him. Could the learned members of the forum point me to advaita
saintly scholars who lived after Gaudapada but before Ramanuja? I would like
to understand their position on bhakti from a scholarly perspective. It will
help me understand if the importance to bhakti in advaita given by
Madhusudana is influenced by  other vaishnava schools (I think Sankara is
Vaishnava and Vishnu is not only the four-handed deity).

I also hear that Bopadeva's Muktiphala has been commented by Hemadri. I
don't know if it is recognized as an advaitc work.