[Advaita-l] On sagotra Marriages

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 05:40:58 CDT 2011

*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com>
lalitAlAlitaH <http://about.me/lalitaalaalitah/bio>*

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 13:54, Rajaram Venkataramani
<rajaramvenk at gmail.com>wrote:

> there is no evidence to suggest that prohibition of sagotra marriages is a
> rule derived based on experience in a particular context.

Well said. Describing old scriptures, which never show any sign of being
based on experience of newer genaration, is not a good habit. Same is true
for scientific explanations of vedas, etc. If any explanation of new
generation fits, then it's mere a case of utilization as it quotes only
parts of shAstram and mostly out of their original context. Vedas, etc are
well explained in their context by old people. They don't need to be turned
according to wish.

> it is based on the
> belief that all humans are descendants of one or the other rishi. the
> descendants of the same rishi should not marry just as siblings don't.

You may need to provide original text confirming it.

> we
> cannot change it.

Yes. If any rule of shAstram doesn't fit a person, he should declare himself
as a non-believer. What's need of any explanation boosting your kAma ?

> now if there is love marriage, then we have no option but
> why should divine sastras be changed for human love? in such cases, the
> concerned couple should at least not marry according to vaidhika procedures
> as a mark of respect for sastras.

Wow ! Nice and Clear. Appreciate it.