[Advaita-l] (Alleged) Internal Inconsistencies in the Advaita Tradition

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Jun 28 02:22:37 CDT 2011

 the so-called inconsistency is indeed only an allegation.

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Kindly pardon me if I said anything wrong here.  IMHO, the 'existing'
inconsistency in advaitic works is more than a mere allegation from
outsiders.  The 'history' of advaita vedAnta says that 'vyAkhyAnakAra-s'
within the tradition have tried to push their theory hard & in that
attempt they donot hesitate to 'attack' other vyAkhyAnakAra-s. For
example, vyAkhyAnakAra-s from bhAmati & vivaraNa schools differed a lot on
various issues while doing the 'same' advaita siddhAnta pratipAdana and
the difference gone to such a low level that they did not hesitate to
attack each other at the personal level.  IMO, due to this problem only
Sri Appaiah Deekshita prompted to do the reconciliation.  In short, though
vyAkhyAnakAra-s within their works & school of thought consistent, they
have seen lot of inconsistency in the works of other vyAkhyAnakAra-s who
are representing the same advaita saMpradAya.  From this 'overall' picture
appears to neutral reader (who does not have any prejudices against any
particular school) that 'advaitins are not consistent while propagating
their theory though they are trying to tell the same ONE truth.

Sri Viday prabhuji :

I think it is high time we all reminded ourselves that when we say jIva,
we are really
talking about our own selves, not some external entity out there.

bhaskar :

That is beautifully said prabhuji..

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!