[Advaita-l] Modern science and Vedanta

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 06:29:44 CDT 2011

Who is 'vinAyaka'?

There is a popular composition of Sri Muthuswamy Dikshitar in the rAga
'suraTi' with a commencement as under:

श्रीवेङ्कटगिरीशमालोकये विनायक-तुरगारूढम्...
shrIvenkaTagirIshamAlokaye vinAyaka-turagArUDham...

[I behold the Lord of Venkatagiri who is mounted on a horse...]

What is the meaning of the word 'vinAyaka' here? Does it refer to
someone/something that has no lord (vi-nAyaka)? Does the word go with the
horse or with the Lord Himself?

Regards,
subrahmanian.v