[Advaita-l] Modern science and Vedanta

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Thu Jun 30 23:07:26 CDT 2011

Dear Subbuji,

/////////////////////////////

Who is 'vinAyaka'?

There is a popular composition of Sri Muthuswamy Dikshitar in the rAga
'suraTi' with a commencement as under:

श्रीवेङ्कटगिरीशमालोकये विनायक-तुरगारूढम्...
shrIvenkaTagirIshamAlokaye vinAyaka-turagArUDham...

[I behold the Lord of Venkatagiri who is mounted on a horse...]

What is the meaning of the word 'vinAyaka' here? Does it refer to
someone/something that has no lord (vi-nAyaka)? Does the word go with the
horse or with the Lord Himself?

Regards,
subrahmanian.v

///////

Vishnu is also called vinAyaka. viH indicates pakShi (bird) which is garuda. One who
is alighted on garuda pakshi is vinAyaka.

BTW, i am busy with my official pressures.  I will get back shortly what is vinAyaka,
mAtrika gaNa & chaturbhagini svarupa in BG.

gaNa is called samUha or cluster.  mAtrika varNa mAla is a gaNa and the adhiShTAtrudevata of mAtrika is gaNapati.  mAtrika varNa is classified as
a, ka,cha,Ta,ta,pa,ya vargAs respectively who are sapta-mAtrikAs.  The upAsana
of these are followed with lAja bali, tila, haridrAnna, dadhyanna etc.  which is
tamo maya.

It is the nirAsana of such upAsana.

sriram