[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Mar 18 03:46:49 CDT 2011

praNAms
Hare Krishna

So,till one obtains Jnana he should continue pouring ghee and other things
meant
for others  into the fire.!

>  If one wishes to acquire adrushta phala (like lOkAntara, janmAntara
phala-s)& loukika phala through devata-s, one has to observe these rituals
to pacify the devata.

Who said one should perform "Yagna'or homa for knowledge to descend?

>  I think there is some confusion here, nobody said for realizing Atma
svarUpa, hOma / yagna is necessary!! But veda vihita karma is necessary
for chitta shuddhi.

Infact,the Upanishads are full of criticism on the "yaga'and the 'Yagna"or
the homa.
The Mundaka Upanishath criticises the Yaga and yagna,saying:
"Plavahyete adhradah yagnarupah..."

>  IMO, it is in the context that karma is not a direct means to Atma
jnAna.  And it is not intended to say veda vihita karma-s are absolutely
useless.

Even Sri krishna in the Bhagawadgita says,"Brahmaarpanam Brahma havih..."

>  I am afraid this quote is not relevant here!! OTOH, it says whatever
you do, do with brahma bhAva..It is not an outright rejection of 'karma'
itself.  For kAmya karma some rituals have been recommended in veda-s.
putra kAmeshti, sAngrahaNyeshti, jyOtishtOma are some of the examples.
Most of the brAhmaNa maNtra-s suggests various rituals for the various
kAmya karma. Having said this I should also add that these karma should
ultimately lead us to karma-yOga, nishkAma karma, through which chitta
shuddhi and then the aspirant would become eligible to persue jnAna mArga.
 na karmaNAmanAraMbhAnaishkarmyaM purushOshnute..says geetAchArya in
geeta.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar