[Advaita-l] More records - last part

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 11:06:15 CDT 2011

Dear Dr. Yaduji,

What you say is correct that one has to know the meaning or else the recitation is meaningless. But there is also more to it as otherwise it could have been just a statement to convey the same meaning. One has to remember the meaning of the statement and that is always better retained in memory if the composition is such that it can be sung to a tune. The teacher can start  with letting the person enjoy of the mantra to the tune and commit  the mantra to memory and then the teacher can explain the meaning of the mantra if the mantra is appealing to the person. Teacher may also chose the specific  mantra to suit the person by knowing the person beforehand.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya.