[Advaita-l] Beeja Mantrakshara Durga Saptashati

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Thu Mar 24 03:38:36 CDT 2011

Dear Venkatesh,

I have seen this book and is with me.  An ancient copy of the same was preserved in
Nepal National Library and it seems it was recorded in Champu Bhasha.

Though there is no scriptural evidence for this bija-mantratmaka sapthasati, i have seen some of the upasakas chanting the same with samputikarana.

As far as Chandi Sapthasati is concerned, the pramANa granthAs are Katyayani Tantra, Chidambara Samhita, Marichi Kalpa & Hara Gauri Tantra.  But none of these seems to mention the bijAtmaka sapthasati.

Shri Narahari Bhatt, a great upAsaka of Srividya who family has been blessed by the acharyas of sringeri, is the current pItha devata archaka who performs the Srichakra Navavarana Archana and Chandramaulishwara Puja in the morning.  This morning puja can be seen in Narasimha Vana and it is a feast to the eyes to see Shri Narahari Bhatt performing Sriyantra Puja and Panchayatana Worship which involves Sphatika Meru Yantra, Nrisimha Salagrama, Ratnagarbha Ganapati.

An old copy of Katyayani Tantra, edited by Nrisimha Bharati & Satchidananda Nrisimiha Bharati Mahaswamigal of Sringeri, is preserved by Sri Narahari Bhatt.  This book lays down the rules & regulations of Chandi Parayana & Chandi Homa and Sringeri Pitha ONLY follows this book that was edited by HH Nrisimha Bharati.

Even that book, there is no mention of Bijatmaka Sapthasati. So, I don't know exactly, how bijatmaka sapthasati originated and what was its guru parampara.

If you are not initiated in Navakshari Mula Mantra, then you can only chant the Sapthasati sans the above shaDangAs.  Then it becomes only a part of Markandeya Purana and NOT a mAla mantra. Sapthasathi becomes a mAla mantra only if prefixed & suffixed with Navakshari Mula Mantra.

But my advice is that without going too deep into the tantra rahasyas, one can enjoy the beauty of the poetic literature of Sapthasati and chant with devotion the 4 hymns ie., brahma krita devi stuti, shakrAditakrita devi stuti, aparajita stuti & narayani stuti.

Afterall, we want devotion at the holy feet of Divine Mother and not tantrika siddhis.

That is what was the advice of acharya Shri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal.

Hope it helps,

regs,
sriram