[Advaita-l] madhyamAM / madhyagAM???

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Thu Mar 24 04:52:48 CDT 2011

Dear Vidyasankaraji,

I somehow suspect some vyakarana dosha in the pada “madhyagAM”.

“madhyamAM” implies “in the middle” & “madhyagAM” implies “admidst”.

So, when guru-parampara is meditated, the sampradaya is first to prostrate
Adi Guru, then Acharya till one’s immediate guru (whoever he may be).

So, advaita gurumaNDala starts first with sadasiva (dakshinamurty) / narayana
(Depending upon one’s taste); in the chain of succession Sankara Bhagavatpada
in the middle and followed by acharya parampara till one’s immediate acharya / guru.  So, samAraMbhAM indicates the 1st acharya; madhyamAM indicates the middle and AsmadAchArya paryantAM indicates “till my own guru”.

To cite an example of “madhyamAM”, there is a sloka in Bhagavata Purana which Says:

AkutiM ruchayE prAdAt kardamAya tu madhyamAM
dakShasyAdAt prasrutiM cha yata ApUritaM jagat //

The liberal translation goes as:

King Manu had 3 daughters namely, Akuti, Devahuti & Prasuti.
Manu gave away his 3 daughters to Ruchi, Kardama & Daksha Prajapatis.

So, to express that the middle daughter (2nd in the order) was given away
In marriage to Kardama Prajapathi, Vyasa uses the above sloka saying
that “kardamAya tu madhyamAM” ie., the middle daughter (Devahuti) was
married off to Kardama.

So, here madhyamAM implies the “middle one” and I must say that
THE WORD MADHYAMA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MADHYAMIKA
BAUDDHA VADA.

I request Srikanthaji to show relevant evidence or quote from any
thesis work that mentions madhyamAM to have the tone of Buddhism.

Now as regards, the word “madhyagAM”, it implies “amidst”.

We meditate Lord Krishna as “rAsa-maNDala-madhyagAM” and
Mother Gayatri as “ravi-manDala-madhyagAM”.

These imply that Krishna is meditated “amidst” rAsamaNDala (gopikAmaNDala) ie., Krishna amidst the Gopika Mandala; and Gayatri “amidst” the Sun.

So, going by these lines, if at all, in guruparampara stotra, we have to use “madhyagAM”, then we have to say “Sankaracharya madhyamAM” and not “madhyagAM”.  IMO, madhyagAM doesn’t fit grammatically.  If we have to use
“madhyagAM”, then we have to pray Sankara as “guru-maNDala-madhyagAM”.
“sankarAchArya-madhyagAM” implies “amidst sankaracharya” which is
logically & grammatically not correct.

Is Sankara Bhagavatpada amidst guru mandala or guru mandala is amidst Sankara?

Am I to conclude that when we are using “madhyagAM”, we are contemplating
the Guru Parampara with Sankara “amidst” the Guru Mandala?  Then is the
usage “samAraMbhAM” & “prayantAM” grammatically correct?

Request your valuable inputs

Regs,
Sriram