[Advaita-l] Sankara commentary for Chandogya Upanishad

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 09:48:16 CDT 2011

Namaste

But in Adi Sankara's Bhashya he has said the enjoyment of women and
vehicles is through mind only but he did not say  the enjoyment is
only a Stuti.

Moreover the Dvaitis also say when you get Moksha you will be in
Vaikuntha. The conditions in Vaikuntha are very pleasing.

http://madhwabrahmanas.blogspot.com/2009/07/sri-harivayu-stuti-translation.html

ye.amu.nbhAva.nbhaja.nte suramukhasujanArAdhita.n te tR^itIyam.h |
bhAsa.nte bhAsuraiste sahacharachalitaishchAmaraishchAruveshAH |
vaikuNThe kaNThalagna sthirashuchi vilasatkA.nti tAruNyalIlA |
lAvaNyA pUrNakA.ntA kuchabharasulabhAshleshhasammodasA.ndrAH || 9||

Translation:

Those who adore and worship with all devotion
The third incarnation which is worshipped by gods
Will be honoured in the heaven, Vaikunthaloka
They get delightful divine robes and all the comforts
The heavenly servants provide cool breeze with chamaras
Divine damsels will hug them and provide the charms of embrace.

Explanation:

Sri Ananda Thirtha is the third incarnation of Sri Vayu. Reverential
homage at his lotus feet is the prime requisite for earning his good
graces. Homage comes of a heart that tacitly believes in his greatness.
To regard him as the greatest Guru, a intelligent grasp of his
authoritative works on Dvaita Philosophy is absolutely indispensable.
They, who worship him as such, enhance their joy in Moksha. Our Acharaya
is thus worshipped by Gods and sages alike. These blessed devotees of Sri
Vayu are dressed in lustrous robes and decked with diamonds and jewellery
by the divine attendants who fan the pleasures of these Muktiyogyas. In
Vaikuntha staying with their swaroopa deva (void of all flesh and blood)
they become and recipents of full-some joy in the close embrace of
youthful damsels of dazzling beauty and per force they feel their joy
enhanced with philosophical appreciation of Sri Hari's and Sri Vayu's
graces in the form of these mysterious jokes.  Men and women devotees, Who
were destined to an eternal stay in Vaikunta, can never dream of any sense
of casual pleasures of the Earth. They are in Muktha Prapancha. They are
permanently severed from the bonds of prakruthi.

One more  translator Srinivasacharya Hombali says the youthful damsels
will embrace him who is in Vaikuntha. The beauty of these damsels will
not reduce with time like earthly women. They will be beautiful for
ever.  He gets pleasure from toes to head with these embraces and he
will feel the heaviness of their full breasts.

-Venkatesh