[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara's Birth Date

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 21:38:43 CDT 2011

Namaste

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> There is added value in discussing Purva Paksha arguments. What are
>> other positions and how our position is tackling them? If you pick up
>> a Grantha like the Sankara Sutra Bhashya it is full of Purva Paksha
>> arguments. Without Purva Paksha there will not be a desire to know
>> Siddhanta. Athato Siddhanta Jijnasa.
>>

> Given that vedAnta deSika lived many centuries after Sankara, his is really an
> apara paksha, is it not?!!
>
> When the siddhAnta was already given in the sUtra bhAshya, having anticipated
> all these later arguments and having presented many other pUrva pakshas, it
> would behove you to read the sUtra bhAshya first yourself and understand it.

I could not find the answers, That is why  I am asking the list. If
someone knows the answer he can answer. I am still waiting for the
answers.

> There would be added value to this list, if you can take the time to understand
> the issue from all sides and present your own analysis of what the SAnkara
> bhAshya says and what others say. This would be far more valuable than merely
> presenting some counter-argument in the form of a question to the list.

If  I can easily find the answers I will not ask such questions. You
can say the same thing to Vedanta Desika. Why he asked questions and
objections? He can read the Bhashya and other Granthas and get the
answers. And we can happily ignore him. But this is not the way of our
Advaita Acharyas. They will answer these questions.

Regards

-Venkatesh