[Advaita-l] Sundara Pandya

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed May 11 23:51:24 CDT 2011

[was Re: [Advaita-l] Adi Shankara,s birth date.]

On Tue, 10 May 2011, Venkatesh Murthy wrote:

> But there is no name Sundara Pandya mentioned in the Bhashya at all.
> How do we know it is in Sundara Pandya Karika?

We have to look to the tikakaras like Anandagiri or Vachaspati Mishra to
fill in some of these details.  Sureshwaracharya also quotes from Sundara
Pandya I believe.

> Where is this Karika found? Any comments?

Sundara Pandya was a pre-Shankaran Advaitin.  Unfortunately the greatness
of Shankaracharyas exposition obliterated all those who came before him
and Sundara Pandyas works only survive in quotes from later authors.
Little is known about him.  In Gujarat Pandya is a Brahmana surname but it
is a relatively recent prakritization of Pandit (akin to Pande or Panda in
North India.) so thats a red herring. There is the famous Pandya dynasty
of Madurai.  Several Pandya kings were called Sundara, perhaps he was one
of them?