[Advaita-l] Reference to Boudhavatara in sankalpa

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 12:39:15 CDT 2011

Dear Sriramji,

Excellent note from you. You said as follows:

As regards the rAma kShetra:

Since Sringeri is in Chikmagalur district which is on Western Ghats
 (above sea level), the geographical area on western ghats is termed as
"rama kshetra" and the geographical location along the western ghats
(the portion which is below sea level) is called parashurama kshetra.

As regards the bauddhAvatAra:

This is referred to Lord Buddha.
 Further to our discussion, they said that, Lord Buddha is a highly
misunderstood personality and it is his disciples who propagated the
nAstika mata of Buddha.  Buddha maintained diplomatic silence on this
issue.  However, it is the mAdhyamika bauddha that is being criticized
by Sankara.

Unquote

If you permit me I would like to add the following.

The portion adjacent to the sea in the west-coast was reclaimed from the sea by Lord Parasurama for his devotees.

As regards Adi Sankaracharya's opposition it was to the later Madhyamikas, down from Vasubandhua and his disciple Dignaga and his follower Dharmakirti. Lord Buddha's Mashayana teachings had the original purity only till the time of Nagarjuna, who expounded it in his Madhyamaka-karika and that was about 500 years after Lord Buddha left. It is believed that Lord Buddha himself said that his teachings would remain pure for 500 years only. Vasubandhu lived about one thousand years after Lord Buddha.

Regards,

Sunil KB