[Advaita-l] Can a mithyA-vastu produce an effect? असत्यवस्तुनः अर्थक्रियाकारित्वम्

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 05:11:14 CDT 2011

Namaste

2011/5/19 श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com>:
> *श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com>
> lalitAlAlitaH <http://about.me/lalitaalaalitah/bio>*
>

> 2011/5/19 Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>
>
>> The Badhaka Jnana will be negating the object Jnana Vishaya but not
>> Jnana.
>

> You mean that bAdhaka-GYAna will prove object prAtibhAsika. GYAna is
> vyAvahArika. And vyAvahArika GYAna causes vyAvahArika pleasure, etc.
> Now tell me whether vyAvahArika-GYAna causes it independent of object or not
> ?
> Not the first option as we say I have pleasure of food, sweets, etc.
> So, second comes. If GYAna is not able to cause pleasure,etc. without its
> object ; then it comes that object caused that. So, mithyA can produce
> effect.

The Mithyatva of Advaiti is not accepted by Visishtadvaiti. He says
the Advaiti Mithya Vastu is not Mithya. It is real. In shell there is
actually silver. But it is in small quantity.  If somebody sees silver
it is because of defective eye.  He wants to pick up the silver. But
if there is no defect in eye he will see shell part. He will not pick
up the shell.  But the Jnana of Rajata in Sukti is true Jnana. Page
120 Sribhashya.

-Venkatesh