[Advaita-l] structured approach to learning advaita

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Wed May 25 02:15:07 CDT 2011

Namaste,

There are 2 aspects that need to be emphasized.

1) Learning Advaita for academic purpose
2) Learning Advaita as a part of AdhyAtmika sAdhana

In either case, good knowledge of Sanskrit is necessary.

Now, our concern is for the 2nd aspect only.  That said, nitya / naikittika karmas are
mandatory for this 2nd aspect.  One should never start prasthAna-traya directly without
thorough study of laghu prakarana granthas.

The tradition starts with Dakshinamurty Stotra, Vivekachudamani, Upadesa Sahasri,
Aparoksha Anubhuti, Vedantasara of Sadananda, Vedanta Paribhasha, Vedanta Panchadasi, Jivanmukti Viveka, Satasloki, Vasudeva Mananam etc.

But to start with, IMHO, Dakshinamurty Stotram is the ideal one that explain the
basic advaitic tenets in a simple & lucid style.  We chant this hymn everyday without
fail alongwith Gurupaduka Stotra and Guru Parampara Stotra.

regs,
sriram