[Advaita-l] Nirguna Brahman and Maya

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 03:17:53 CDT 2011

Namaste,

nirvisheSha brahman is not an entity the way you put it. In fact it is not
an entity at all in the sense that it is not an object at all. In the final
analysis, understanding "aham brahmAsmI" essentially means getting out or
letting go of the tendency to objectify and limit oneself.

For example, consider the following statements:

"I am a human"

"I am a son"

"I am a thinker"

"I am a doer"

"I am a knower"

Whenever I make such statements, I am objectifying and thereby limiting
myself, for any object excludes others.

The constant human "thirst" is a thirst for fulfilment, of freedom from
limitations. As long as the tendency for self-objectification continues,
the thirst also continues. This tendency for self-objectification is what
is termed avidyA, and expresses itself in the form a mutual superimposition
of Atman and anAtman.

When I get out of this tendency, I "understand" my own limitlessness. This
is expressed empirically by saying that I am the truth of all objects, but
limited by none.

In essence "aham brahmAsmI", means "the seeker is the sought", or "the
limitlessness that I seek is my very nature".