[Advaita-l] On the nature of muula avidya

nishanth rope.snake+garland at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 6 19:50:55 CST 2011

||om shri satgurubhyo namah||

Salutations,

This discussion is challenging and overwhelming to me. Yet it is enjoyable
to be exposed to such subtle ideas of the great Achaaryas and Advaitins of
the past. And, it is enjoyable to see the room for interpretation on such
fundamental pillars to the whole of Vedanta IMO.

It is rare to get this chance to delve into such ideas for one not able to
navigate SamskRtam texts directly.

Here is an excerpt from an old translation of Shri Vidyaranya which seems
to bring up Avidyaa and Maayaa differently than the interpratation of
presented by Shri Subhanu ji (a la
Holenarasipura<http://www.adhyatmaprakasha.org/index.php>).

Forgive me for stating the obvious. I am way out of league here. But
egotistically, would nonetheless endeavor to contribute and  primarily just
state the awe of the subject matter.

here is the textual excerpt:

VIDYARANYA’S
INTRODUCTION TO THE STUDY OF UPANISHADS

Translated from the Original Sanskrit into English
by Alladi Mahadeva Sastrty

As published in:
THE TAITTIRIYA UPANISHAD
Samata Books, 1980

Introduction to the Study of Upanishads by Vidyaranya published 1899.
Published for Samata Books by V. Sadanand
10 Kamaraj Bhavan, 573 Mount Road, Madras, 600 006, India

“To that unknowable Self of wisdom, who being well kept in the heart, the