[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Wed Nov 23 07:21:40 CST 2011

Namaste,

////

Is it work or a ritual, pls. clarify.  It reminds me anga nyAsa, kara
nyAsa in shata rudreeya recitation.... nirUdha pashubandhAtmane
anAmikAbhyAm namaH / kavachAya huM.  I was told that pashu bali would not
take place exactly at the yAga shAla it will be done some nearby place
some Ritvik would bring the essential part to the yAga shAla.

//

It is one among the 7 havir yajnAs which is performed twice in a year (once in
dakshiNAyaNa and another in uttarAyaNa).

Yes, these nyasas are performed before chanting of shatarudriya. There are also
also kratus that are mentioned during nyasas which conclude with "sarva-kratvAtmanE.."
Which implies shatarudriya pATha confers the benefit on performance of these kratus.
Because, nyAsa implies "placing & holding upon oneself".  So, having understood the
concepts of these kratus properly, one should place them upon oneself thereby one becomes fit for "antar-yajana" or "antar yAga".  The external rituals (bahiryAga) confer chitta shuddhi which paves the way for internalisation (antaryAga).

BTW, in early 90s, a place near Sringeri was chosen and a pashu yaga was
infact performed with the approval of Sringeri Acharya.  This was done without
any pomp.  There animal sacrifice did take place.

regs,
sriram