[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Nov 24 21:58:38 CST 2011

Inasmuch as we are talking about the upanishad, the SAnkarabhAshya is very
much an authority in understanding it. My intent in quoting the bhAshya
was this -
the explanation given therein is straightforward; no talk of substituting
goat meat
for that of a bull (this suggestion from Sri Venkatesh Murthy is
unsubstantiated);
no talk of herbs called ukshA or Rshabha (extremely far-fetched
interpretation, in
my opinion).

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Though it is a well known fact that  non veggies always bound to develop
tAmasa guNa and meat eating in adhyAtma sAdhana is not at all advisable,
in an exceptional cases such as above it is advised to take meat!! In
vAdAvaLi when we were discussing the same bruhadAraNyaka maNtra, somebody
quoted the following to substantiate that meat or non-veg delicacies
including beef were there in our ancient Rishi/muni's menu card :-))  Here
is what he quoted :

//quote//

Atharva Veda 9.6 Meat is distributed to the brahmanas
Satapatha Brahmana 3.1.2.21 Cows and bulls are prohibited. At the same
time sage Yagnavalkya is said to eat the flesh of cows provided it is
tender.
Atharvavediya Kausika Grhya Sutra 12.8 One desiring harmony of minds
should eat calf meat mixed with some sour substance

//unquote//

Apart from above, AFAIK there are plenty of verses  from purANa-s & manu
dharma smruti with regard to practice of meat eating in brAhmaNa &
kshatriya kula ( which force us to put  Lord rAma & krishna also in
non-veggie camp :-))

On the lighter note, so, brAhmaNa bandhu-s,  those who are born in
brAhmaNa kula & hesitating to add meat in their menu now can do so with
the support of pramANa from our own sacred shAstra-s :-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar