[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 01:19:43 CST 2011

So, if I want a brahmana son learned in the four vedas should I
slaughter a bull and eat that meat with rice for dinner? Should I kill
it myself or ask someone to kill it? Should I eat the meat be raw or
cooked? Is there any restriction on the quantity or should I eat to my
heart's content? Should I kill a bull every day until conception or
can I refrigerate and reuse? Is there any ritual to be performed at
all or chanting of any mantras? Muslims chant their mantras to get rid
of the sin of killing in halal.

It may be hard to convince my wife who will quote Lord Krishna's words
about eating only the remnants of a yajna to avoid sin. She will quote
what Kanchi Mahaperiyava says about restrictions that  Brahmanas
should eat only pea nut size of meat from specific soma yajnas. She
will quote the existing practice among learned elders where meat is
not offered even in sraddha ceremonies. She will ask if Upanishads
should be followed in regard to karma khanda without reference to
grhya or kalpa sutras that describe the procedure. One thing that is
certain is she will vomit the dinner and I probably will think it is a
precursor to pregnancy days :)

I expected a more knowledgeable discussion from this forum with
reference to actual ritual procedure.

On 28/11/2011, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> praNAms Sri Venkatesh Murthy prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
>>  Since my guruji,  Sri vidyA prabhuji himself is handling this issue I
> dont have to say anything, he would reply to your observations in a more
> appropriate way..Anyway, if you could permit me here is 2 naya paisa worth
> comment on your observation from my desk.
>
> Yes a Sista will consider Sankara Bhashya but he must also consider
> Smruti and other references. If he does that he will 100% conclude
> Sankara Bhashya cannot be taken directly because the direct meaning is
> against other works. He must take the modfied meaning of Sankara
> Bhashya and not eat Bull meat if he has desire to have a learned son.
>
>>  There are plenty of smruti-s (like Apasthambha dharma sUtra-s & gautama
> dharma sUtra-s) and purANa texts which prescribes meat eating in the form
> of prasAdaM or yajna shesha without particularly putting any 'yuga'
> boundaries to this!! If memory serves me right, some sUtra-s (probably
> Apasthambha) even directly recommends meat eating without purifying it as
> prasAdaM!!  Somewhere it recommends one should not take ready made food,
> and flavored food except raw meat, honey & salt.  Somewhere else it also
> says one should not eat 4 footed animals with an exception of boar,
> tortoise, hare, porcupine etc.:-))  So, you see, in the non-veg menu not
> only goat, beef it is more than that in smruti texts :-))  Moreover, as
> Sri vidyA prabhuji clarified, husband and wife eating meat is a special
> occasion and they have definite purpose (iccha) in doing so..And, more
> importantly,  neither shruti nor shankara saying that this particular
> 'food' item is recommended only for other yuga-s for daMpati-s and in kali
> yuga we need to search for some other alternatives :-)
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

Sent from my mobile device