[Advaita-l] Nitya Karma question

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 04:16:12 CDT 2011

*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com>
lalitAlAlitaH <http://about.me/lalitaalaalitah/bio>*

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 13:41, Venkata sriram P <venkatasriramp at yahoo.in>wrote:

> I don't think the shruti vAkya "karmaNa pitrulOkaH" is opposed to
> shankara's view.
>
> It is avAntara (gauNa) phala and the mukhya phala is chittEkAgrata.

Any proof for supporting ekAgratA ?
We have no veda-vakya to support your view.

nitya-karma result in pApa-xaya according to 'dharmeNa pApamapanudati' and
in pitR^iloka according to 'karmaNA pitR^iloka'. So, my views have strong
support.

> In vedantasara, while explaining the vAkya "karmaNa pitrulOkO vidyayA
> dEvalOkaH",
> Sadananda yogi says that:
>
> nitya-naimittikayOH pitrulOkaprAptiH avAntara phalamupAsanAnAM satyalOka
> prApti
> iti vivEkaH

yaGYena vividiShanti- shruti doesn't say that yaGYa, etc. are done for
ekAgratA. It says that they are done for jiGYAsA or GYAna.
So, sadananda's views are not correct.
For upAsanA too, he presents 'tapasA kalmaShaM hanti'. It also disapproves
his view about result of upAsanA. upAsanA is meant to destroy pApam.
Remember, words say what they say. What you understand other than their
meaning is inference and that can not be presented as scriptural evidence.

While explaining this an example is given as:

> There is a mango tree.  The person can enjoy the cool shade under the mango
> tree
> and thereby save himself from scorching sun.  However, this is not the
> objective
> while planting the mango tree.  The objective is to taste the sweet
> mangoes.
>
> So, to seek the shelter under the mango tree is avAntara phala and to taste
> the
> sweet mangoes is mukhya phala.
>
> Similarly, pitrulOka prApti is avAntara phala and chitta shuddhi is mukhya
> phala.

I can understand that pitR^iloka-prApti, vividiShA and pApa-xaya, all are
results.
But, from where comes avAntara, mukhya differentiation ?
This definitely depends on kartA.
If he performs nitya karma to generate vividiShA.
If not, then pitR^iloka-prApti is destined.
If he doesn't care both, then sa~nchita-pApa-xaya is result.
So, you can say that there are three different results and they can be
obtained by performing same karma by people with different motives.
There is no case of avAntara, mukhya here.