[Advaita-l] Veda as source of dharma.

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 15:00:52 CDT 2011

*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com>
lalitAlAlitaH <http://about.me/lalitaalaalitah/bio>*

2011/10/10 D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ <dvnsarma at gmail.com>

> If other sources can never have the same strength as Veda
> it is not necessary for Gautama to write that sutra तुल्यबलविरोधे विकल्पः।
> Therefore in commentators view  Gautama is atleast
> illinformed or a fool.

No.
It is true that no other pramANa has same force as veda-s.
Even in this condition 'tulyabalavirodhe vikalpaH' is not uselss.
How ?
It is useful when we see conflict between two shruti-s, or two smR^iti-s or
two shiShTAchAra-s.
As 'atirAtre ShoDashinaM gR^ihNAti' and 'nAtirAtre ShoDashinaM gR^ihNAti' -
shruti-s have conflict and they have same strength. So, we get that both
case are valid options.
So, sUtrakAra didn't commit any error by writing this sUtra and commentator
was showing use in this specific sense which can be logically supported.