[Advaita-l] Veda as source of dharma.

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 14:23:11 CDT 2011

*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com>
lalitAlAlitaH <http://about.me/lalitaalaalitah/bio>*

2011/10/11 D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ <dvnsarma at gmail.com>

> Well, this puts the charge of mutually contradictory injunctions to this
> infallible
> source of dharma i.e., veda. No reply why this infallible and apaurusheya
> veda
> shoud give mutually contradictory injunctions.

These injunctions are apparently contradictory. Apparently, because their
subject is directed to different people and different results.

> Besides Gautama mentioned immediately before this sutra two pramanas,
> Veda and sistachara. From context it is reasonable to assumed that he is
> taking
> about a conflict between them.

Although he mentioned after counting two pramANa-s, this sUtra is not
pointed at conflict of two pramANa-s having different strength. So he says
tulyabalavirodhe. Otherwise he must have said virodhe.
And if he had said that he must get attacked by opponents who can prove that
only conflict is not enough to consider two sentences authentic. As is in
the case of knowledge of rope and snake. We don't say that both are
authentic. So is here.