[Advaita-l] Vishnu pathathi keshanta stotra

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:39:46 CDT 2011

This is Sloka 6 in the 15th chapter of mAdhavIya.

nijapAdasaroja-sevanAyai vinayena svayam AgatAn atha AndhrAn |
anugRhya sa venkaTAcaleSam praNipatya Apa vidarbha-rAjadhAnIm ||

The word anugRhya really applies to the Andhra people mentioned in
the first half of the verse, who came (Agata) in all humility (vinayena)
to prostrate to the AcArya. After blessing them, Sankara is described
as proceeding to venkaTAcala (venkaTAcaleSam praNipatya) and then
to the capital (rAjadhAnI) of vidarbha.

The text itself says nothing about any composition of a stotra or a
bhAshya in this context. There are two commentaries to this text, the
DiNDimA by dhanapati sUrin and advaitarAjyalakshmI by acyutarAya. I
doubt if they add anything substantial to the text herre, but they may
be worth a read.

Regards,
Vidyasankar