[Advaita-l] Examples of bhakti rasa realization by Advaitins

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 04:38:01 CDT 2011

These are excellent points. The earliest extant commentary on Bhagavatham,
which is the source of the concepts of Bhakti is by Shridharacharya, an
advaitn. According to Shri Jaladhar Vyas, Shridharacharya refers to a
commentary by Chitshukacharya, who is indisputably an advaitin. I have not
checked the reference to Chitshukacharya in my own commentary. The other
sources such as Narada Bhakti Sutra and Sandilya Bhakti Sutra have also
been commented by Advaitins before any one else. Muktiphala and its
commentary by Hemadri are also more likely to be advaitic works because no
dualist tradition lays claim to them. Harivamsa, which narrates the
pastimes of Hari while stressing that Hari and Hara are one, is definitely
of advaitic disposition. Madhusudana talks about Hari bahkti being natural
and spontaneous to a jivan mukta. It is interesting that Ramana Maharishi
also expressed spontaneous madhura bhakti in his own composition and that
of Manickavachagar. It is also quite true that tantra shastras are full of
bhakti rasa and are not unique to any particular vedantic tradition. Even
Radha Krishna Bhakti is well expressed by Shri Jayadev, who lived long
before Shri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Now, it is clear that while living there
is no difference in the accomplishment of Bhakti Rasa. Prof. Lance Nelson
has done a thesis on Bhakti Rasayana and has clearly established that
Madhusudana's views on Bhakti Rasa are original and cannot be said to be
influenced by others to a great extent though there are others who claim
that he was influenced by Gaudiya Vaishnavas during his alleged stay at
Navadvipa. I dont even think that he was a Bengali to start with but think
he was a Tamilian or Kannadiga because of his preoccupation with Shri
Ramanuja. I have to check the records at Shringeri and Kanchipuram when
time permits to ascertain if they record him. Anyway, the biggest problem
that remains is that a bhakta is less interested in moksha but more
interested in his loving relationship with the Lord. Madhusudana Saraswati
leaves it open as to what happens to a jivan mukta bhakta after death. He
does not say that the bhakti rasa ceases to exist because bhakti rasa is
Ishwara Himself according Madhusudana. And he cannot say that Ishwara
ceases to exist. Prof. Lance Nelson says that he is unable to resolve his
inclination towards bhakti and conviction in advaita. A jivan mukta bhakta
continues to relish bhakti rasa as an adhikara purusha taking appropriate
forms like Narada, Vyasa etc. In my view, Brahman is a respository of all
qualties in an undifferentiated form, which is what makes It attributeless.
If a person is tall and short, he cannot be called either or both or
neither. So, bhakti rasa that we see in this world is a particularized
expression of Brahman and is present in a generalized state of
non-expression in Brahman. I would like to know what the scholars on this
forum think.