[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Veda

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Sep 8 02:54:32 CDT 2011

Note that both the Mimamsakas and the Vedantins agree that it is not just
the ideas but the actual words of Shruti and their meanings which are
apaurusheya and eternal.  (See brahmasutra 1.3.29 and the bhashya
thereon.)

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Jaldhar Vyas prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Kindly clarify what are the justifications shankara provides for vedA-s
apaurusheyatva, as far I remember here in this adhikaraNa shankara talks
about veda nityatva (eternality)  and not about veda apaurusheyatva per se
and adhikAra of devata-s in obtaining brahma jnana.

One more doubt,   if all the words & its svara-s (intonations) of veda-s
are apaurusheya why some say Rig veda is the 'oldest' among veda-s??  why
the same maNtra with different svara-s??  rigveda maNtra svara-s are
widely different from yajurveda maNtra-s.  For example gAyatri maNtra...we
say gAyatri maNtra drashtAra is rishi vishvAmitra, which of the maNtra he
has seen first??   is it rigveda gAyatri maNtra or yajurveda gAyatri
maNtra??  Moreover, at the end of bruhadAraNyaka there is a big list of
jnAni rishi-s (obviously jnani-s names,  which we know very well like
shankara, ramaNa etc. missing here) with their father & grand father names
and there is plenty of stories in veda bhAga & various diologues between
shishya-guru, father-son etc. on various topics and there is a mention of
tools like nail cutter etc. dont you think all these prompt us to think
that veda-s composed at certain point of time & after all these incidents
& characters.

Kindly pardon me if my doubts are too naive.

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar