[Advaita-l] saMhita references

Ramakrishna Upadrasta uramakrishna at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 11:31:03 CDT 2011

2011/9/8 Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com>:

> yaGYena vAchaH padavIyamAyantAmanvindannR^iShiShu praviShTAm

> "With sacrifice they[1] followed the footsteps of vAk[2], and found her
> dwelling within the R^iShis." (R.V. 10.71.3)

> In the course of reading the bhAShya on brahmasUtra 1.3.29 I noticed that
> the AchArya has quoted a R^ik one of the rare instances where he refers to
> the saMhita portion of shrUti.

Namaste,

The above mantra is from what is called GYAna-sUkta (perhaps the only
sUkta in the entire saMhita, to GYAna). Another well known mantra of
the sUkta is the famous 'saktuM-iva tita una', which is prayer to vAk
again.

In his commentary/translation of brahmasUtra, by Prof. Date, a
disciple of Gurudeo Ranade lists in the appendix, references by
AchArya in his bhaaShyas. Among them, there is another reference to
saMhita (this time as well to Rig Veda).

It is mantra 2.12.2, devoted to Indra, RiShi gRitsamada (of course)
and trishhThup chandas:

yaH prithivi vyathamaana aDiMhadyaH parvataanprakupitaaM aramNat
yo antarixaM vivame varIyo yo dyaamastabhnatsa janaasa indraH [RV 2.12.2]

namaste
Ramakrishna