[Advaita-l] knowledge of one's own liberation

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 14:26:47 CDT 2011

I had posted a question, "How does one know I am liberated?". One answer
was, "Just as one knows I am a samsari, one knows I am liberated". I was not
convinced by the answer. Only because I am told that I am a samsari, I
believe that I am. Otherwise, I would act as a samsari but not realize that
I am. A very convincing answer is given in the book "Yoga, Enlightenment and
Perfection", which Sri Subrahmanian recommended. According to the book, a
disciple may become deluded that he is liberated but it is the guru who
confirms that he is liberated. It quotes the case of Narada who though he
had realized the absolute on realizing the Prana but SanatKumara corrected
him.