[Advaita-l] Hymn of Ganesha

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 06:44:09 CDT 2011

Mr. Srikantha,

agaja = Mother Parvati;
Anana = Face
Padma = Lotus
Arka = Sun

Just as, the Sun makes the Lotus flower bloom; in the similar way
Son Ganapati (who is compared here with Sun) makes the face of His beloved Mother
Parvati bloom in joy & bliss.

With the sight of Her son Ganapati, the face of Parvati blooms in joy & hapiness
because Ganapati is the apple of Her eye and His presence makes Her
delightful.

As simple as that.

rgs,
sriram
Mr.Sriram

As I was away travelling to some places,I could not reply to your posting.

In the above hymn to Lord Ganesha,Adi Shankara has combined poetry with Profound Adwaita philosophy.

The word,Agaja means not Parvati,the consort of Shiva,but this hymn is directly addressed to Lord Ganesha who is the remover of all obstacles.He is both "Vigna"karta "and "vigna"harta.In the Vishnusahasranama
Vishnu is called "Bhaya krd bhaya nashanah".In the beginning of any task,Lord Ganesha is worshipped and propitiated.He is happy with that,and gives the "Modaka"which is Purna Ananda.He is "Purna".
Padma signifies the blooming of the Lotus flower which means the attainment of "Jnana".
N.Srikanta.