[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Veda

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 06:30:38 CDT 2011

Namaskara SrI Anand ji

Regarding the eternality of the Vedas, I had the following doubt.

While the mantra-s can be accounted for as eternal and revealed in the same
manner in each cycle of creation. What is the status of the
mantrArtha-vAda-s - the Vedic itihAsa-s and purANa-s presented in the Vedic
mantras themselves dealing with the accounts of the Rishis interacting with
devata-s etc ? Are they also eternally fixed or perhaps we need not insist
on they being fixed down to the last detail especially given the fact that
these mythologies have (it appears) been arrived at by pratyaxa rather than
through mantra-darSana?

To elaborate: BSB 1.3.33 has "itihAsa purANamapi vyAkhyAtena mArgena
sambhavad.h mantrArthavAda-mUlatvAt.h prabhavati devatAvigrahAdi sAdhayituM.
pratyakShAdi mUlamapi sambhavati. bhavati hi asmAkam-apratyakShamapi
cirantanAnAM pratyakShaM. tathA ca vyAsAdayo devAdibhiH pratyakSham
vyavaharantIti smaryante."

(It is quite plausible that anecdotes and mythologies mentioned in the Vedic
mantra-s are based on the direct preception of VyAsa and others. For things
imperciptible to us can be perceptible to immortal beings.)

Also, bhAShyakAra approvingly quotes in the same context the smR^iti -
"svadhyAyAd-iShTa-devatA-samprayogaH" (Patanjali Yoga Sutra 2.44) (through
japam, proximity to and interacting with the chosen diety is possible.)

Also- "RShInAm mantra-brAhmaNa-darshinAm samarthyaM nA'asmadIyena
sAmarthyena upamAtuM yuktaM. - tasmAt samUlam itihAsa-purANam."
(Besides, the powers of the Rishis who were the seers of the mantra-a cannot
be measured by our conventional yardstick. Therefore the events described in
the Vedic itihAsa and purANa-s have a factual basis.)

As, iShTa-devatA- samprayoga, which is a type of yogaja-pratyaKSha
(yoga-born supersensory perception), seems to be acceptable as the basis for
the mantrArtha-vAda-s, can't we say that they were not mere gaunArtha-vAda
(figurative) and were in fact bhUtArtha-vAda (based on actual events).

Atleast the Vedic sound-syllables dealing with such accounts may differ in
different kalpa-s. The idea is that, perhaps, we need not take an
excessively literal stand that every single syllable of the Veda-s is
unchangeable.

Hari Om
Raghav