[Advaita-l] brahma sAkshAtkAra (was RE: Apaurusheyatva of Vedas.)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Sep 15 01:39:19 CDT 2011

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Bhaskar, to me it seems as if you always deliberately impute unnecessary
extra meanings
to sentences like that quoted above and always bring in a negative
reference to nirvikalpa
samAdhi.

>  I dont know why you always see only negative intentions in my mails. I
dont blame you prabhuji for that, it is only my misfortune.  I was just
trying to say vAkyArtha jnAna or vedAnta vAkya janita jnAna is enough for
the samyak jnAna & there is no interval between the jnAna & sAkshAtkAra as
such and mOksha is ajnAna nivrutti only and not a special & afresh
'darshana' of ever existing Atman.

It is clear to most of the rest of us that what is meant by vAcaspati
miSra is the following:

avagati/sAkshAtkAra/samAdhi = transcending the mere knowledge of the words
and the
sentences as described below and abiding in brahman.

> IMHO, there is a possibility of reading more in these lines for those
who know that bhAmati compares shravaNa & manana as 'dhAraNa' and
nidhidhyAsana as dhyAna and darshana as 'samAdhi'.  Anyway, I myself do
not know much about bhAmati vyAkhyAna prabhuji, but I think I have read
Sri SSS correctly in vedAnta prakriya pratyabhigna with regard to bhAmati
stand on this. (Sri SSS takes the bhAmati vyAkhyAnaM printed in nirNaya
sAgara press). If I am wrongly interpreting these things in the name of
bhAmati school, I am open for correction prabhuji.

> Sri Devanathan prabhuji, I believe, is well versed in bhAmati prasthAna,
if possible I request him to clarify these issues.

Surely, you can see that there is a qualitative difference of description
involved here and
that you are raising a strawman argument and then debunking it.

>  Again, frankly, I donot know whether these are all mere straw man
arguments or it has the basis in the bhAmati works.. IMHO, scholars in
bhAmati vyAkhyAnam, like your goodself & devanAthan prabhuji would be in a
better position to throw more light on these issues.

Every discussion thread need not be an opportunity for you to reiterate
the thesis that the bhAmati and vivaraNa
subschools misunderstand the SAnkara bhAshya.

>  I once again apologize if my observation gives you such an impression
prabhuji.

Vidyasankar

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!