[Advaita-l] vedAnta vAkya janita jnAna

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Sep 15 05:14:05 CDT 2011

praNAms
Hare Krishna

>  I changed the subject line as you are not stopping your discussion on
this subject :-))

I thought you were able to read Devanagari on your computer.  At least so
far you have not complained about this.

> Infact I had said earlier also about my problem in Sanskrit letters in
my computer.  Sri Ananda Hudli prabhuji had tried offline to help me to
get rid of this problem but due to some limitation in my accessibility it
was not through.  If the mails are written completely in devanAgari, then
it is as good as 'brahma jnAna' for me :-))

This is the bhashyam, in part, for the BG verse 11.54:

// na kevalam jnAtum shAstrataH, draShTum cha sAkShAtkartum tattvena
tattvataH, praveShTum cha mokSham cha gantum cha parantapa//

I showed this vAkyam for its containing the word 'sAkShAtkArtum'.

> no problem with the word 'sAkshAtkAra' but the interpretation.  If it is
meant in such a way that it is a subsequent step AFTER vedAnta vAkya
janita 'paramArtha jnAna' then problem starts to fill the gap between
jnAna AND sAkshAtkAra :-))

This is when there are no pratibandhaka-s.

>  shravaNAdi pratyaksha sAdhana-s are there to remove these
pratibandhaka-s..is it not?? :-))

If they are present, even if vAkyArthajnAna takes place avidyAnivRtti rUpa
mokSha does not come about. He may have to wait for one or more births for
the pratibandhaka to end.
BSB is clear about this.

>  Kindly tell me in which sUtra shankara comment like this??  As far as
my knowledge goes shankara somewhere comments that sravaNAdi means may not
give true knowledge invariably in this life.  Knowledge may come in a
subsequent life if there any obstacle for it.  But he further clarifies
that spiritual freedom is the immediate consequence of the knowledge of
Atman. evam Atma vishayaM vijnAnaM yatkAlaM, tatkAla eva tad vishaya
ajnAnatorObhAvaHsyAt clarifies shankara in bruhad bhAshya.  So till that
Atmaikatva samyak jnAna, depends upon his eligibility,  an aspirant has to
continue his shravaNAdi pratyaksha sAdhana.

'dhyAnena Atmani pashyanti kechit AtmAnam AtmanA..' of the 13 chapter.

>  dhyAna is purusha tantra, kartuM, akartuM anyathA kartum shakyaM see
tattu samanvayAt sUtra bhAshya...jnAna is not like that coz. it is vastu
tantra..So we have to be careful while talking about 'dhyAyena Atmani
pashyanti', dhyAna on Atma & 'darshana' of Atman in dhyAnAvastha etc.  It
has its own meaning according to the context of advaita siddhAnta.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar