[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Vedas.

Omkar Deshpande omkar_deshpande at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 16:10:01 CDT 2011

<<<We only test validity of knowledge when we confront conflicts with another.
Without any conflict we just accept them as true and behave accordingly.
This observation is basis of svataH-prAmANya-vAda.>>>

As an addendum to my last reply:

Two other things that observation shows:

1. People can accept something as true and behave accordingly with total conviction, in the absence of conflict, and still be wrong about what they believe.

2. We accept validity of shabda based on presence of merits in the author, which goes hand-in-hand with absence of flaws in the author. Absence of author's flaws does not guarantee lack of invalidity, unless it entails presence of an author with merits (please see the examples in my reply to Sri Raghav Kumar).

So observation, even if we were to formulate an epistemology based on it, wouldn't lead to svataH-prAmANya.

Regards,

Omkar