[Advaita-l] Sabda Pramana of Mimamsa

ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli shankarabharadwaj at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 18 14:58:33 CDT 2011

Namaste Raghav ji,

Answer to #1 is in #2. Both portions of Sri Suktam are in the RV Khila. Though the second part is not chanted, it is not separated out in RV itself - it is part of Sri Suktam only. However as it is chanted, the question arises as of what part is merely chanted as brahmana, and what part is applied as mantra for homa. For this the best is to run through a complete Sri Sukta homam.

To take another example, aruna pAtha of Taittireeya Aranyaka has both brAhmana and Aranyaka portions - when an Aruna homa is done, parts of sentence are applied for homa using svAhakAra, and part are merely chanted as brAhmaNa. And some parts of brAhmana do not even have to be chanted - they are instructions and yajamAni should just do them.

There is no question of portions falling out of Sabda pramANa of mImamsa - just that some portions should be treated as mantra and some portion as brAhmaNa.

Shankar