[Advaita-l] Pitru Paksha Questions

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 05:03:39 CDT 2011

Namaste

There is one Sraddha Jeevatpitruka must do without fail. It is
Matamaha Sraddha next day after Mahalaya Amavasya.

Mother is very important person for everybody. But Maternal
Grandfather gave birth to her. That is why we must do his special
Sraddha  after Mahalaya and other Pitrus. If father is no more
Matamaha will get his Sraddha in Mahalaya itself. But if father is
alive the  son must do it next day. They say it has to be done without
Pinda because if father is alive son cannot give Pinda. The son must
do Matamaha Sraddha even if his Maternal Uncle is alive and doing
Sraddha for his father.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> What is Hiranya Sraddha? Kindly give details briefly. If father cannot
> sit down due to arthritis can son do it?
>
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> I dont think our dharma shAstra allows a jeevanta pitru to do shrAddha
> karma to pitru devata-s on behalf of his father. If father is unable to
> sit, his brothers (preferably elder  if not younger) can sit and do it.
> hiraNya shrAddha means, giving saMkalpa pUrvaka  'yathAshakti' dakshiNa to
> a brAhmaNa for his 'svayaM pAka'.
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

-Venkatesh